September 22, 2010

Sales Tax on Etsy

Does anyone know what is happening with the sales tax issue on Etsy? I was wondering if this meant we had to start adding sales tax or if it is just optional. I read the information article about it, but it didn't really explain if we have to or not. I don't really want to charge tax if it's not required.

4 comments:

kathy said...

I believe sales tax may be up to you.
I collect it locally and now on Etsy.
Government and tax accounts will be checking I believe for on line sales soon. But check with your account first to make sure.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

PayPal already charges sales tax to any Nevada resident. This addition on Etsy just made the buyer aware of it before completing the transaction and makes it easier for people who do other payment methods besides PayPal.

kathy said...

Hmmmmm!!
My sister-in-law ordered something from me and used pay pal and they didn't charge her tax. She lives in Virgina and I live here.

Anonymous said...

You have to include the sales tax yourself by going to Profile, then in the right column is an option for sales tax. Anything being shipped from a NV address to a NV address needs to be chargds sales tax for the county it's being shipped to. Since Paypal only does it by state (too broad for me) or zip code (too many for me), then I charge Clark County tax for all NV purchases and refund the difference if it's leaving this county.